The wonderful world of vinyl albums is one that sometimes keeps us locked to our record players and in our homes. This is not always a bad thing, but people have always longed to be more mobile, and why should you have to choose between your favorite records and your mobility? This is where a great portable record can really come in handy. Indeed, while you could just use your iPhone or mp3 player, why should you have to sacrifice the sound quality of your favorite tunes when you are moving about? One thing is for certain: vinyl is the best there is in terms of musical sound quality. This is really something to consider, though, as making vinyl transportable has not been a strong suit of the industry. This is truly the downside to having vinyl sound as your favorite kind of sound, however there are some great companies that have worked to create transportable turntables and vinyl based products in order to send you on the road with your favorite vinyl albums. Online record stores like SoundStage Direct have a wide selection in terms of turntable products that can be played at home or on the go, and finding the best turntable for you really is the key to improving your overall listening experience. If you are ready to hit the road with your records, here are some great portable turntables to consider adding to your vinyl playing equipment collection:
- Dansette Record Player: This is probably the most well known and perhaps popular record player that has ever hit the market. It is quite heavy, so the handle on the side doesn’t prove as helpful as you might imagine it would. You should be cautious of purchasing if you find this model on the cheaper side, as it is probably not in great shape. Still, the model in the best shape are quite expensive, so finding a good middle of the road model will be key to taking this model on the road!
- Hacker Record Player: Much like the Dansette Record Player in set up, the top opens to view the turntable. Just know that if the model you are examining has the word “Garrard” in the bottom right corner, you are looking at a better and therefore more expensive model.
- Numark PT01: This little guy is just over $150 to purchase and is battery powered. It has a built in amp and can handle 78s as well as the usual LP records. It is discontinued, but check on Amazon before giving up hope for this record player.
- Vestax Handy Trax USB: The Handy Trax is quite light, making it much easier to carry around than other record players. The sound quality leaves a bit to be desired, however, so you should be aware of what you are getting into when you select this model.
- Audtio Technica Sound Burger: This brilliant design essentially holds the record in place between the table and the arm, much like a burger bun. Includes jacks for headphones and for speakers.